Tuesday 11 October 2016

Mama bear and the pot pot



Mr S is currently in the midst of potty trying. It’s so easy and I’m enjoying every minute of it....... if you haven’t already realised I’m being sarcastic. Potty training is hard for both me and Mr S. I’ve read blogs, books and forums but I’m still not very good at it. 

 






 I’ve tried several tips which haven’t worked and some which have. My greatest fail was when I bought a toilet seat potty thinking he could go straight on the toilet. Before it even had its debut performance Mr S got his head stuck in it. My dad had to wedge it off because I couldn’t move for laughing. My health visitor suggested I do a wee on his potty to demonstrate. Since I left my pride and sense of embarrassment in a delivery suite 2 years ago I gave it a go. Mr S looked at me like I was stupid and then ran away and peed on my rug.
The only positive too trying to teach, (or should I say force), my difficult little man to go number one and two on a small plastic bowl is it gives me some stories to tell and laugh about.
When we first started the process Mr S would start shouting pee pee, I would sit him on his potty and wait......and wait and wait. Nothing. He didn’t quite get the concept, he thought it was just an excuse to sit down and have everyone’s attention. Because of this experience I wasn’t paying that much attention when he told me he needed it anymore. Big mistake.
Mr S was saying poo poo. I carried on dressing Mr B in his pyjamas and off Mr S went. I thought nothing of it. When I had finished getting my youngest ready for bed I got the potty and headed to Mr S room. I found him inside his pop up tent looking at his picture book. “What you doing baby” I said as I popped my head into the tent. He looked at me and smiled, I was thinking how cute he was, then I saw it. The floor of the tent was showered with puddles of liquid poop. I stopped and simply starred for a minute, I had no idea how to even begin this clean up mission. I did what any good mother would do. I got Mr S out, told him it was OK and we would try the potty next time, I picked the tent up, ran straight to the wheelie bin outside and then ordered a new one online. No amount of cleaning could have saved that tent, trust me. 
So we’re now at a stage where he has done a few number twos on the pot pot and we’re trying to master the pee pee. He is finding this hard as he doesn’t seem to be able to judge when he needs it. A few nights ago the boys were playing after bath time while I got everyone’s p.js ready. Mr S looked so confused when he started weeing, Mr B looked even more confused, but then he was sat in the line of pee pee fire. I had to take my little pee stained chunk straight back to the bath. Poor kid.
It gets worse than this though, if that’s possible. A couple of nights ago Mr S finally did a wee on his potty, which would be great, except I didn’t know he had done a wee on his potty. Poor Mr B didn’t know either and must have thought it was just a large mug of apple juice, that’s the only explanation for why I caught him drinking it. I couldn’t do anything but shout for hubby. I was dry heaving and shouting, “do something with him, brush his teeth, I’m going to be sick”. Poor poor kid. 
I’m not too worried because I know Mr S will get there eventually and I just need to persevere and keep up the praise. I’m also not too worried that Mr B got peed on as I’m sure he will get his own back in a few months when it’s his turn to potty train. In the meantime, I will just have to keep up my stocks of carpet cleaner and mop heads.
Good day to you x



Mummuddlingthrough



Keep Calm and Carry On Linking Sunday


21 comments:

  1. Ha ha to you trying out the potty. I found books really useful to help potty train my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with it all. Sounds like I will stick to potty training my dog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. argh potty training - fun times. we've just cracked poos now. I really found positive incentives worked well for us
    Thanks so much for linking up at #KCACOLS. Hope you come back again next Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Patience is a virtue. Don't give up :)
    #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry, but I did giggle a bit reading this. Potty training took quite a while with my son, and was pretty stressful. He just wasn't ready so we stopped trying for a while and he got it when he was about 3 and a half. My daughter is now 2 and a half and has basically potty trained herself, it's been amazing! I know that's no help to you, but I really do think they'll just do it when they're ready! x #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh no, sounds like a real drama. But some bits did make me laugh. I can't imagine the horror you must have had with the tent and the drinking... You're right though - it will happen in time. I need to start potty training in the next 6-ish months too so that's what I'm telling myself anyway! Good luck! #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww, potty training can be stressful! I find they just get the hang of it when they're ready, hope you don't get through too many tents in the meantime ;) #kcacols

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh gosh this sounds like a traumatic process for all concerned! I guess it's one of those things that happens in its own time...? I don't envy you!

    Jess xo | The Indigo Hours

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooooooooh noooooo! We're vaguely starting but we're taking it at H's pace. Good luck!! #coolmumclub

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL I wouldn't wish those potty training days back but I do remember the portable collapsible potty being invaluable for those urgent pit stops whilst out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh no he drank his pee! Sorry but I had to laugh, it really sounds like he is keeping you on your toes! They will get there eventually though - you just have to persevere. We left potty training quite late with my youngest he was 3yrs and 1 month but the beauty of that was he seemed to get the concept quite quickly.

    Thank you for linking up to #KCACOLS and I hope to see you back again on Sunday x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think I would have heaved at the sight of the tent! Right decision in throwing that out I would not want to clean that! I am so glad I've never had to experience the potty training rituals as after reading this I think I would end up pulling out all my hair!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I found books helped my children with potty training :) Potty training is really difficult though. I remember those days too well! Good luck xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I bet potty training must be really hard, these books look like they'd be a lot of help x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hated potty training, my daughter had no inclination to start. So we stopped for a while and tried again. Have you tried (or are able to) try it around other kids who are potty training too. Maybe make into a fun game for them? I find that worked really well #kcacols

    ReplyDelete
  16. Potty training can be totally painful but sounds like you guys are heading in the right direction and you'll get there in the end as you say. Just imagine how good it will feel when you do! Thanks for linking up to #coolmumclub lovely x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh the joys! Pickle was a bit later training - I waited until he was ready, then he was a dream. Keep going!! Kaz x

    ReplyDelete
  18. it's stressful isn't it - I'm just about to potty train no 3!!! Not looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh potty training ... i don't think I could do it again, once with my daughter was enough and books never helped us which is a shame I had two really nice ones! But in saying that she got the wee wees down quickly, poos where a bloody nightmare, how can kids hold it for so long!! I suppose all I can say is hang in there, at least wees are easier to clean off the floor than poos! Haha

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good luck with the potty training, although I have no experience with a little one it sounds like you're doing great! x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ha ha hilarious!!! Can't wait for our turn at potty training now 😜 #kcacols

    ReplyDelete

Let's hear what you have to say